Waiting for the official reveal of Survivor: Redemption Island’s cast, here are a few lines about who I think should have won in every season and why.
- Borneo: Well, this one is a no-brainer. Anyone who says that anybody other than Richard Hatch should have won the first Survivor is crazy. Hatch basically created Survivor as much as Charlie Parsons and Mark Burnett did. Not convinced? Just watch the French Survivor once. It didn’t have a Richard Hatch, never did, and we’ve had 10 seasons of a bunch of clueless Pagong voting people along the lines of “He annoyed me today” or “She ate all the food.” The question I always wonder is: how would he do nowadays, if he was unknown and playing with people that know how to play this game. I guess we will never know, but I really hope he gets to play in a future All-Stars.
- Australia: Although it was one of the most popular seasons (I can say it’s the one that definitely hooked me up on the show) I don’t have very vivid memories from it. I guess Tina Wesson deserved to win, although in my opinion, the most strategic player was Jeff Varner, too bad he got voted out early (yes, I always think the most strategic players are the ones that deserve to win… something to do with Richard Hatch defining the game I guess).
- Marquesas: Let’s see… I guess Vecepia Towery played a solid game. Twice she was in the minority and twice she survived and managed to have the people targeting her voted out. But she was such a boring player that I don’t even remember her game play or nothing much else for that matter. The other person from Marquesas that deserved to win was of course Kathy Vavrick-O’Brien… I will also always have a soft spot for Gina Crews but that’s just the Gainesville connection (and the fact that she was sweet, let’s not forget that one of the worst persons that ever played was also from Gainesville) but I don’t think she could have won. I don’t think anybody else deserved to win. Who? Boston Rob? Nah…
- Thailand: Despite the fact that Brian Heidik was a very unpleasant person, he totally dominated the game in a way that few people ever have. For me he’s almost as good as Richard Hatch. I’m almost sad that he alienated himself with the Survivor powers that be, because he deserved to be an All-Star. Shii Ann Huang also deserves a mention (as a good player, not as an unpleasant one).
- The Amazon: Well, it’s not that Jenna Morasca didn’t deserve to win. She did play a solid game. But Survivor: The Amazon has “the best player to never win Survivor” in the person of Rob Cesternino. Rob should have won, plain and simple. He’s one of the best player to ever play this game, period. And to add insult to injury Rob got screwed in the All-Stars. We need to see Rob again in a future All-Star edition, there aren’t that many players that are both good and entertaining (hey, that’s an idea: next list will be about entertaining contestants).
- Pearl Islands: That’s a tough one. As entertaining that season was –despite the worst twist in Survivor history aka the Outcasts – there isn’t one player that dominated the game. Some would say Andrew Savage, but I don’t think he was that good (and he wouldn’t have been voted out had he been), some would say Jonny Fairplay, but I don’t know, he was too shady to win, some would say Rupert Boneham, but they obviously don’t know how this game works (and neither does he). Christa Hastie maybe? Mmm… No… So I guess that Sandra Diaz-Twine was indeed the best player that season.
- All-Stars: Who deserved to win All-Stars? That’s a tough one. Definitely not Amber Brkich that’s for sure (she shouldn’t even be in it). Not Boston Rob Mariano either; his gameplay was despicable, betraying Lex and Kathy the way he did cost him a million bucks and I’m happy it did. So who then? Well, maybe Lex Van Den Berghe or Kathy Vavrick-O’Brien… Or Tom Buchanan? Shii Ann Huang maybe? Really, I don’t know.
- Vanuatu: A strange season in the sense that even though it may have been one of the seasons with the most strategic cast, I don’t see one really sticking out. All the major players, Chris Daugherty, Scout Cloud Lee, Eliza Orlins, Ami Cusack and I may be forgetting a few, deserved to win one way or the other.
- Palau: Mmmm… Some would say that this one is a no brainer, Tom Westman was clearly the best player that season. I beg to disagree. Tom’s strategic game, while decent was not that great, and there’s something about him, some sort of self-righteousness that really gets on my nerves, but let’s not get personal here. So even if Tom’s game was good, I definitely think Ian Rosenberger was the best player that season. But despite some other *cough* Boston Rob *cough* people he didn’t think that one million bucks was worth more than friendship.
OK, that’s it for today.
I’ll try to finish the list before the cast for Redemption Island is announced (although I don’t know when it will be announced).
If you have different opinions or things to add, go ahead, shoot!
The following two tabs change content below.
How does a French guy living in Japan ends up blogging about Survivor? Well, let's say that at some point in his life, he lived in Florida, and stranger things have come out of Florida.